Monday, September 27, 2010

Tree Frog

When I went out in the back yard this evening to do a little yard work, I had no idea that I would find a tree frog! I didn't even know we had these around here, much less in my pecan tree. I pulled down a few branches to do some trimming and there he was. Now I'm wondering what he is doing around here and if he belongs. He is so beautiful, bright green with gorgeous bronze eyes. Of course I had to take a few pictures and caught him talking to me. He also had an itch and did this weird little move, sucking in his sides and then pulling his back leg out from under and scratching before tucking back into his flat position. After a few photos, I put the branches back and let his stay on his leaf in peace.

2 comments:

  1. Neat! I don't recall ever seeing these in the wilds of Texas either. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turns out this is (I believe) an American Green Tree Frog. They usually found near lakes, farm ponds, floodplain sloughs, cattail marshes, or bald cypress swamps. They inhabit the southeastern United States including eastern Texas. We are near a creek and in more north Texas but maybe there are more out there :)

    ReplyDelete